Welcome to Senior Year! Don't let it slip away from you. Make sure you are keeping up with all of your classes, and your outside points, so that you graduate and go on to whatever it is you aspire to.
Check Your Outside Points
Click on the Outside Points tab to access an update on how many outside points you have.
If there is something you need or don't understand, you should email me at <email@example.com>. I do check my email frequently - in the evenings and on weekends - so you may be able to get help without having to wait until you see me in class.
Are there still hate groups in the U.S.?
Click to view the Southern Poverty Law Center's HATE MAP.
Health Care Issue
Go to the following websites to get information about health care in the US and around the world.
• 25 Best Global Healthcare Rankings
• Health Care for All - California
Naturalization Process (steps to become a U.S. citizen)
Legal Residency (not the same as citizenship)
How much does it COST to get a
Natural-Born Citizen (how to qualify)
Countdown to Graduation!
Check the status
of your voter registration
Current Events Journal Articles
Charlottesville/Race in America
SPLC on the People & Symbols at Charlottesville
Joe Biden in The Atlantic, 8/27/17
The Federal Budget
Recent Budget Summary
National Debt Graph
Annual Deficit Graph
Gun Violence & Gun Control
Take a few bullet points on each & write a one-page reflection on the set, AND sign a statement that you ACTUALLY READ THEM!
1. Gun Deaths Since Newtown Shooting
2. Gun Violence Archive
3. Gun Homicides by Country Ranking
4. Gun Ownership/Gun Homicides Graph
5. 12 Facts About Guns & Mass Shootings in the U.S.
6. A Sociologist's Perspective on Gun Violence in America
7. How to Buy a Gun in 15 Countries
Climate Change Readings
Take a few bullet points and paragraph summary on each;
a one-page reflection on the set; AND a statement that you
ACTUALLY READ THEM!
1. What is the IPCC?: go to the IPCC Website
2. Data pins polar warming blame on humans
3. Climate chief warns against 'tragic' inaction
4. The Political History of Cap & Trade (Smithsonian)
5. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists: 2015
6. Climate Change consensus
(the 2nd article & video on the page - about deniers)
7. Skeptic Organizations
8. Global Warming's Terrifying New Math (Rolling Stone)
9. The Parable of Rupert Murdoch (The Nation)
10. House Passes EPA Rule Change
11. If the Oceans Die, We all Die (Sea Shepherd Society)
12. Paris Climate Agreement
Climate of Doubt video
5-Hour Lines in Arizona
Control of Media / Money in Politics
* All Sides media bias ratings
1. Communications Act of 1934
2. How Just 6 Corporations Control 90% of Media
3. Koch Brothers' Budget for 2016 &
Koch Companies & Products
4. Koch Brothers v. George Soros
5. False Ads
6. Citizens United
7. Super PACs
(a) Take a few bullet notes.
(b) Write a short summary/reflection.
Bill Moyers: ALEC (Start at 4:20. Stop at 50:00.)
Watch; take 1/2 pg. bullet notes; write 1/2 page reflection.
About the Tea Party
Official Site (teaparty.org)
Article #1 (SourceWatch)
Article #2 ("Who's In Charge?," The Atlantic)
"Ten Cases Every Teen Should Know" article
Congressional Names & Salaries
US Government Salaries
History of the Filibuster (12-min. video)
1. Filibusters: The Senate's Self-Inflicted Wound
2. The Five Longest Filibusters
3. Famous Filibusters
4. Filibusters Historical Graph
Who's Who in the Trump-Russia
American Politics Glossary
The Evolution of the Bush Doctrine (Frontline)
The Project for the New American Century
Secretary of State Clinton's UN Speech, 12/7/2011
Syria Update 6/2012
Secretary of State Clinton on Russia & Syria
Secretary of Defense Panetta on Pakistan
California Secretary of State: Political Parties
An interesting Directory of US Political Parties (currently operating), including their origins.
The Cabinet (short White House video)
US Deficit Graphs by President
Current Government Leaders & Salaries
Elizabeth Warren on Social Security (video)
1. Oligarchy Article (an article about the study)
2. An Interview with the Researcher
Read BOTH, and take a few notes on each:
• what you find interesting or important
• something that surprised you
• the main point
• your reaction
3. The Influence of Billionaires
Read the article, take a few bullet notes, and write a
paragraph reflection. 3 points XCR
Military-Industrial Complex: Eisenhower to Obama (video)
Is Gun Violence the New Normal?
(read article, bullet notes, 1/2 page reflection)
Income Inequality Video
1. The Right to Search Students (ASCD, 2002)
2. Student Rights - Search & Seizure (ACLU, 2015)
3. Cell Phone Searches (Student Press Law Center, 2015)
4. Search & Seizure, Due Process, & Public Schools
5. US Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Case ...
(Rutherford Institute, 2015)
6. Search & Seizure & the 4th Amendment (Find Law, 2015)